Followers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Best Witches.....

It's 'Halloween' week at the Card A Day Blog, and I decided I wanted to try cute rather than scary.  If you're new here from CADB, welcome.  I'm glad to have you here for a visit, and hope you'll decide to become a follower.

As I was foraging through my Halloween goodies to come up with an idea for my card, I happened upon some Sizzix dies that I had forgotten about.  I had been considering a newish stamp set that I had, and thought the combination would make for a fun card.  It all started with a certain cute little Halloween witch.................


I stamped her on white cardstock, colored her with markers and paper-pieced her dress.  I die-cut the ghost, and then backed his head with a shimmery scrap to highlight the eyes and mouth.  Then I inked him with some blue and gray for dimension.  I die-cut the word 'Beware' from a piece of gray and black patterned paper, but instead of using the letters, I used the negative and backed it with some orange that I had darkened a bit with gray ink.

Next I went to work on the jack-o-lanterns.  I had two different dies, so I cut them both twice, and reversed the colors for the eyes and mouths.  I colored the stems, and inked around the eyes, mouths and outer edges.

The card base is a two-sided patterned paper.  I liked the green for the outside of the card, but it was a bit bright.  I used gray ink on a cloud background stamp to darken the green a little.  You really can't see the clouds, but it provides the needed effect.  I used a torn paper mask so as not to stamp the lower part of the card.  Then I added a dark bottom border using more of the gray/black striped paper.

Most of the elements were mounted with dimensionals.  You can see all the layering in the next photo.


The reverse side of the card stock is sort of a wild flame pattern.  It's in the wrong orientation for fire, and I thought I would insert a liner.  Flipping the card open, I decided it would be a fun surprise to leave it as it was, and just added a sentiment and a spot for a signature which carried over the colors from the outside.


Here's a closer shot of the sentiment!

I had so much fun putting this card together.  Hope you like it!!


Here's the recipe:
     Stamps:  Unity Bella Blvd 'Best Witches'; Impression-Obsession 'Clouds'
     Dies:  Sizzix Brenda Pinnick Pumpkin Face, Ghost, Jack-O-Lantern #2
     Inks:  Stampin' Up Basic Gray and Bashful Blue; Versafine Onyx Black
     Markers:  Copic; Tombow
     Cardstock:  Glitz Design Hallow Flames; Generations Stackers; Recollections; Stampin' Up
     Scissors:  Fiskars Paper Edgers

I hope you have a sec to leave a comment........I'm really glad you stopped by today!


And remember:  keep your creative genius flowing.........

CHRISTINE

3 comments:

  1. Wow Christine great job on the card and the tutorial of the card. Love the use of the negative for the letters and will have to keep that in mind for a card and also the use of ink to tone down the color paper another great idea that I'll have to try.TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good use of color! Cute card! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's cute but the pumpkins are cuter;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave some love. I truly appreciate you.